DIPLOMA IN WILDLIFE TOURISM MANAGEMENENT (DWT)
In Uganda tourism industry which is largely wildlife based plays a key role in export earnings. The sector is now the leading foreign exchange earner for Uganda as of 2013, inform of foreign exchange to the national economy. As tourism industry continues to be the fastest growing sector globally, it has experienced a range of developments at sub national, national, and international levels, and emerging issues such as the discovery of oil & gas, and the impacts related to the development of this sector. Such changes demand for new competencies from the graduates of UWRTI so that they are well positioned to address emerging issues and challenges. The reviewed program is intended to provide the human resource that will help Government to meet its targets of improving domestic, regional and international tourism industry.
AIMS OF THE PROGRAM
- Provide an opportunity for Ugandans and the international community to obtain a qualification in wildlife tourism for socio-economic development
- Enhance management and conservation of wildlife resources as a prerequisite for tourism by producing professionals to serve the public and private tourism and nature conservation enterprises.
By the end of the program, trainees will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the socio – economic values of tourism resources and the challenges paused to their productivity and survival.
- Demonstrate the right level of proficiency and attitude to effectively manage wildlife and create enterprises in tourism sector
- Apply appropriate knowledge and skills to provide tourism related advisory services
- Implement policies, legislation and conventions in wildlife management and conservation practices
- Apply competences in basic numerical analytical skills in decision making and planning processes
- Demonstrate ability to deal with emerging issues affecting community conservation in the context of shared natural resources
Objectives of the program
- To equip learners with knowledge, values and skills that will make them competitive in the job market.
- To provide learners with innovative and entrepreneurial skills for self employment
- To provide a foundation for professional growth in the tourism and oil and gas sectors for socio-economic growth of the country
- To impart health and safety, environment and biodiversity conservation consciousness for sustainable wildlife tourism
- Diploma in Wildlife Tourism Management is two years (2 years)
A candidate to be admitted for a diploma in Wildlife Tourism management has to fulfill one of the following:
- Has passed biology at O’ level and a minimum of two principal passes at A ‘level; One of the principal passes must be in Geography, Biology or Agriculture.
- Holds at least accredit in a certificate in tourism or relevant field from a recognized institution.