Uganda Wildlife Research & Training Institute (UWRTI) is a semi-autonomous body under the Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities, established by Uganda Wildlife Research & Training Institute Act, 2016.
The Mandate of UWRTI is: “Undertake research and training services for sustainable conservation and management of Uganda’s wildlife resources.
UWRTI, an equal opportunity employer wishes to recruit high caliber, self-motivated and result oriented Ugandan national to fill the position below:
Position: Principal Research Officer
Job Description: The Principal Research Officer will be in charge of developing and
implementing the research program of the institute.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the Development and operationalization of the institute research policy (s) and ensure they are complied to.
- Ensure scholarly publications
- Spear head the review, finalize and regularly update the institute’s research strategic plan
- Building capacity of staff in wildlife research
- Develop and market wildlife research grant proposals
- Coordinate the development of the Institute’s Research Agenda.
- Develop and establish a research quality assurance framework for the Institute.
- Coordinate the development of the institute’s research ethics, policy, guidelines and establishment of the accredited institutional ethics committee
- Establish and maintain the institute’s research journal
- Initiate and spearhead any relevant wildlife research projects on behalf of the institute.
- Establish and maintain a data base on wildlife research in Uganda
- Participate in local, regional, national and international fora to make visible the research role of UWRTI.
- Write and submit competitive research proposals for funding to national and international funders.
- Establish a research network and connections with National and international Universities, Research Institutes and research centers.
Bachelor’s degree in Ecology related discipline and a Masters Degree in Natural resources Management. A PhD Degree and experience in establishment and management of Academic publications shall be added advantage
A minimum of 5 years working experience in natural resources management research in a reputable organization
At least 3 publications in reputable peer review Journals
- Research skills
- Scholarly writing and publication skills
- Analytical and presentation skills
- ICT skills
- Resource mobilization skills
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Team building and networking skills
Suitable candidates should submit applications online each with a detailed Curriculum Vitae bearing contacts of three (3) Referees, a daytime telephone contact, copies of Academic Documents and relevant Appointment letters to the address below:
The Acting Director,
Uganda Wildlife Research & Training Institute,
P.O. Box 173,
CLOSING DATE: 13th July, 2020 at 5:00pm
1. Applicants are required to attach CERTIFIED copies of academic documents.
2. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Please note that any form of
lobbing will lead to automatic disqualification.
3. All applications attachments should be converted in a single pdf/rich text file
4. The application link is http://uwrti.ac.ug/apply-online/